I don’t know about you but all I need is a few days of sun this time of year to get my “gardening juices” start to flow…
I’ve decided to share a little bit about what I’ll be doing in my garden to get ready for Spring so…. here are this week’s goals:
- Starting some seeds for planting out as soon as we get our last frost. Yesterday, I planted beets, lettuce, kale, brocollini for vegies and calendula, cosmos, zinnias and alyssum. I’ve planted these in seed trays that I’ve placed in a room that is about 60 degrees. In the past, I’ve either bought plant starts or sown directly in the ground. This year I’m hoping to step up my game and do a better job of keeping a nice flow of vegetables and flowers coming.
- Creating a no-dig garden bed that should be ready for planting mid-summer. My goal is to eventually eliminate all the grass in my garden and using the “no dig” method is the best way I’ve found to do this, without all the back-breaking work it would take to remove all the sod to create no beds the traditional way.
- Using my Garden Planner app, I’m creating an actual plan for successive crop rotation. It’s really a fun way to monitor what I’m doing when and where.
- Cleaning up my tools and garden shed so I can be a little more efficient.
- Planting out some lettuce starts that have been in my unheated greenhouse all winter. So far, they seem very happy out in the garden.
- A neighbor also brought by some wood she cut and shaped for a nice trellis for my clematis and wysteria and we installed that this week too. I love it!
What are you working on? I’d love to hear about it!